I suggest you ...

Charge Sales Tax Rate of Customer Address

Clients should be charged their local tax rates when ordering.

103 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andrew shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

Wondering if anyone has figured out a solution to this? Minnesota has a different sales tax and transit rate for every county. Help!

• Simone commented  · 

This is vital for sales in the US! I believe that most states have a statewide tax with some counties having an additional surtax. Whether you charge your client the rate for where they live (where goods are delivered) or the rate where your business is located depends on the state you live in.

In the same way that you can select a price sheet in Pixieset for each client you should also have the option to select from multiple tax rates.

Search "Origin-based and Destination-based Sales Tax Collection" to learn more.

• Katie commented  · 

another vote for allowing county rates. what do i do? in some counties it is 7.5 and in some it is 6. which should i put?

• Elizabeth commented  · 

Another vote for allowing us to enter county rates... Wyoming is variable too, and it's tricky when a big family that lives all over orders from their home addresses, because I am on the hook to collect the right amount no matter what but can't make that happen easily as the settings work right now.

• TAXES need to be fixed commented  · 

This doesn't completely work. I live in NYC, if something gets shipped to NYC that works great, but NYS has different tax rates and I cannot add a sub category for any other county. This should be fixed.

• jenfer commented  · 

Yes! Is everyone else just not selling product? Hard to imagine that those in destination based taxation states are just using the sharing features or simply not compliant with IRS rules.

• Sugarplumshots commented  · 

I do business in Washington. Sales tax has to be calculated based on mailing address if it is a digital or print product. One tax rate doesn't cut it. I will probably be switching to ShootProof since Pixieset has proven to be inadequate in this area.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Smugmug and Zenfolio both do this.. I believe Pass does as well... This would definitely add a huge benefit to Pixieset!

• Anonymous commented  · 

Yes, WA and CO my places of business I have to pay taxes based on the city,not the state. Is this fixed? I'd like to pull the trigger and use Pixieset but I'm worried about this? Thanks!

• Jack commented  · 

California is complex, and one flat tax rate doesn't quite work. Also, if an entire order is digital delivery only there is no tax due, but if physical products are delivered than the entire order is taxed. All explained here: http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub68.pdf Would be great if tax rules were better integrated, or at least easier to manage manually.

• Anonymous commented  · 

This solution has been posted since March 2014 and it appears as if nothing has been done about it. This is really a good solution to solve the sales tax charge issue because there are so many different tax rates here in California.

• Anonymous commented  · 

This is actually the only issue keeping me from using Pixieset. I love everything else this service has to offer, but pass.us handles sales tax automatically and does everything else almost as well as Pixieset (but not quite...).

With Pixieset, not only do I have to handle paying sales tax to the state myself, but I also cannot set the correct sales tax rates because the rate can only be set for the entire state. California's sales tax rate depends on where I "do business" (which is not a simple term) and where the prints are shipped to. With Pixieset, I am forced to collect the lowest possible state sales tax rate, then manually compute the correct (usually higher) rate, and eat the difference when I pay the state. It's actually even more trouble than that because if I deduct my actual sales tax cost from my income tax return, I won't have the invoices to justify the amount since the invoices will be lower.

• Sharyn commented  · 

I would prefer to only charge and collect sales tax for those orders shipped in the state I am registered to collect sales tax in. And no others. I don't see the need for international sales tax, but for STATE to STATE, and apparently county to county for the folks below.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Wisconsin, as well. We are destination based, by county, and the rate varies from 5% all the way through 5.6%.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I'd love if this plus option to have or not have tax on line items, that would be so helpful.

• michelleswestling commented  · 

California has many different rates as well. I hope this feature can be added soon.

• Dee Hackett commented  · 

I need this too. Washington state has many tax rates, dependent on where someone lives. Even the small town I live in has 3 different rates.

Feedback and Knowledge Base